Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Moon cannot be stolen

How does one "lose"
two years in their lives? What is lost? Is "it" ever found? Is it really stolen? Where
are the life "police" to find what we have lost?

Can we lose this moment?

Yes, when the past and the future loom over the present and demand our respect, we are not in this moment. This moment becomes lost. We are instead in the past letting anger put armor over our hearts, letting anger keep tears from flowing.
Or we are in the future, worrying, letting fear block our compassion for all beings, feeling anxiety over our safety and security, this moment lost.

We miss living here and now in this moment, and then the next moment and pretty soon, all those moments add up and two years are lost.
---------------------------------------------------

A Zen Master lived the simplest kind of life in a little hut at thefoot of a mountain. One evening, while he was away, a thief sneakedinto the hut only to find there was nothing in it to steal. The ZenMaster returned and found him. "You have come a long way to visit me,"he told the prowler, "and you should not return empty handed. Pleasetake my clothes as a gift." The thief was bewildered, but he took theclothes and ran away. The Master sat naked, watching the moon. "Poorfellow," he mused, " I wish I could give him this beautiful moon."
---------------------------------------------------

4 Comments:

At 5:02 PM, Blogger Barry said...

Despite a major winter snow storm, I had to drive to and from work today, along with two or three million other Torontonians. All of us were out on the roads slipping and sliding and praying we kept from smashing into each other. Now that I'm home I suddenly notice just how beautiful the world is under its white blanket of snow. No one gave me the moon, but I wish someone had given me the vision to see the beauty of the day an hour ago.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Pebble said...

ahhh... can someone give the moon or give vision to us?

When I stop, feel safe, breathe in, breathe out, long breath, deep breath, deep, slow, feeling calm, taking everything with ease, calming my anger, calming my worries, calming my jealousy, letting go of my anger, letting go of my fear, I can smile (sometimes the body has to take the initiative) and be here and now, in the present moment, wonderful moment.

Paraphrased from dharma talk by Thich Nhat Hanh 7-30-97 on his poem:

In, out.
Deep, slow.
Calm, ease.
Smile, release.
Present moment.
Wonderful moment.

 
At 7:46 AM, Blogger Pebble said...

like night and day,
black and white,
left and right,
good and bad,

snow can be dangerous,
life-threatening,
and beautiful.

cannot have one without the other.

 
At 8:00 AM, Blogger Pebble said...

Thanks for your comment and the reminder how beautiful snow can be.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home