Sunday, May 14, 2006

Mom's Day

Back on the road, a bull dozer has levelled a hill, trees have been clear cut around an old chicken farm. There is a house for sale with a fantastic view behind the house. The picture window at the front of the house is facing the highway.

In my own life, I reshape my day to fit the clock, drive to a job where I work in an enclosed small windowless closet space under fluourescent lights for 8 hours in front of a computer monitor, breathing recycled air. In winter, I miss the sun altogether. Complexion turns pasty, skin white. Butt gets lots of sitting time. Pants wear out in the seat, not the knees like little kids who get to play. I have a big picture window in me facing a monitor during day, and a tv screen at night. I miss mother earth.

I stop at a Nature Conservancy property with trails and streams and boulders and walk the trail, feel Earth beneath each step, a belonging.

"The earth is our mother and is always there for us. She has produced us, brought us to life; and she will receive us and bring us back again and again, countless times. So when I call, 'Earth,' I call to my awareness that is the ground of my being."

Taken from be free, where you are by Thich Nhat Hanh.

Resting in the river.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home